Monday, September 21, 2009

Marx Colonial Dollhouse #4018

Toronto's Sunday morning St. Lawrence Antique Market is a lovely place to enjoy your first coffee of the day. It is also a wonderful place to find miniature treasures. I was there yesterday and I got this.

A Marx Colonial Dollhouse #4018. This model was sold starting in the early 1950's. I don't know how many years it was on the market. It is all tin and the door doesn't open, the front windows are pierced. I was surprised to get most of the original furniture with it.





What stares I got on the street as I carried it along. Every woman (of my generation) who passed us said, "I had one of those when I was little." I couldn't help but notice that I was the only one crazy enough to buy it.


It has two rooms downstairs - a kitchen and a large living/dining room/front hall, all decorated beautifully for the new bride and her family. I love the avant guard 1950's color scheme inside.





































Upstairs everything is bright and new. The nursery is decorated with toy soldiers. The bathroom has cheery towels and shower curtains on the wall. The bedroom has a lovely romantic fireplace and paintings on the walls. It is a very inviting home. Still, I wonder why there is a gun hanging over the living room fireplace. (hmmm.)





























The furniture is original, and seems a little small for the house, but it fits perfectly into the painted rooms. The bathtub fits exactly between the shower curtains, the sink fits under the mirror, the sofa sits prettily in front of the hearth rug, and the dressers have their own spaces in the bedroom.

I was lucky to get most of the furniture with the house. I am missing the kitchen table and a couple of chairs, as well as three dining room chairs and a few other pieces, but I am not complaining. I love this little dwelling. I had one very much like it when I was a little girl. Where that one went, I have no idea.

I hope to get more pictures posted soon.



Happy blogging.

Hugs,
Susan

15 comments:

  1. I had one of these - it brings back so many memories! I remember the fireplace with the rifle hanging there and all the rest. So fun to see it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how cute! It's in great shape too! I remember these houses too! I think my sister had one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know Kathi. It's in wonderful condition, which is the main reason I bought it. I often see these metal houses dented and rusty and the dealers are asking big bucks for them. This one was a bargain.

    Claudia, I had one like this too, or very similar. I love the detail of the interior of the house. When I was little I thought it was like the houses on TV sitcoms (Leave it to Beaver or Donna Reid), rather than like the old farmhouse I grew up in. These little houses were magical to me and I thought the furniture was less than elegant when compared with the interiors

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not have one of those growing up and always wanted one. I searched high and low several months ago with no luck. I finally placed an ad on Craig's list and someone contacted me. So...I now have a Marx home....very similar to yours. It did not have any furniture and I am furnishing it a little along. I am sure the stares that you got were pure envy! I love your house! Enjoy!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Cindy! I think the most fun thing about these houses it the graphics. I would love to collect more of them just to compare, but I am running out of space.

    The furniture is available on eBay, but you can sometimes find it at flea markets. I picked up some on Sunday at the same flea market where I got the house but from a different vendor.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have two versions of one made by Playsteel. One is my mom's and the other has the same interior but a different exterior. Both of mine are furnished in a combination of Renwal and Plasco furniture. Those companies made their furniture a little more realistic looking than the Marx furniture. I have several pieces original to my mom's house which makes it extra special. Have fun with yours. Ebay is also a good source for finding furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi De. I have some Renewal and similar sized furniture. I am going to see how it looks in the Marx house. I think it will be nicer than the tiny Marx items. Thanks for the tip. Enjoy your houses. You are lucky to have your mom's house.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're not the only one, who buys such things. I've bought one, too. Sadly, it's missing the two walls upstairs (the inside ones). Do you think, you could make a scan for me, to help me reproduce them with wood and paper? It would be very helpful

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Bea; I will give it a try. It is the inside and outside of the bathroom walls you need right? I will have to bring them to work to scan as I don't have a scanner at home, so I may not have them ready for you for a week or so, but I am glad to help.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Susan,
    the dollhouse , I have bought, has no inside wall at all upstairs. So I need the two faces of the two little inside walls, upstairs. I hope, you see, what I mean. As it's probably easy to remove them, I would be happy, if you coud scan these four faces for me.
    thanks a lot,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Susan,
    I have made a few pictures of my Marx dollhouse. I would like to share them with you. Are you on facebook?
    if yes, they are in my albums, if not, just send me an email, I shall send them to you by mail.
    Have a nice day!
    Beatrice Dassonville

    ReplyDelete
  12. My parents just found my metal dollhouse in the attic last week and brought it to me when visiting for my daughters high school graduation! I thought it was long gone!! The interior of my house is identical to yours ,however the outside is red brick with a gray roof and chimneys on each end and I cannot find any markings on it as to manufacturer etc. I am missing about 8 pieces of the furniture. My living room furniture is red and tan and the dining table is blue. Would like some info on how to locate more pieces of the furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lucky you!! My original tin dollhouse never made it to the 21st century. This dollhouse was produced for years with different colour schemes, different interior designs and sometimes additions like a garage, rec room or bomb shelter. I believe that different sets of furniture came with different versions. There were a variety of different colours.

    Dian Zilner's books are a great help for identifying furniture and seeing what is original to the house. Go on Amazon and search under her name.

    I have had good luck finding furniture online at eBay, Craigslist and Rubylane. In person I have found furniture at Flea Markets and Antique Malls.

    On eBay do a search for Marx under the Dolls and Bears category. There is always something. If you don't see what you want try again in a few days.

    I hope this helps.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan;
      I have this same dollhouse. I found it at a garage sell for $20.00. I just happened to have a $20.00 bill in my purse, so I purchased it.
      I am not sure which I had as a child, but this reminds me so much of it. I am trying to research it to see how old it is. Mine has the white brick bottom and red type siding on top and a great plastic roof. I am looking for tin furniture to go in it on E-bay.

      What fun.

      Jana

      Delete
  14. Thank you so much! I will try all of the things you have mentioned!

    ReplyDelete